Recently I opened up XSS Hunter for public registration, this was after publishing a post on how I used XSS Hunter to hack GoDaddy via blind XSS and pointed out that many penetration testers use a very limited alert box-based pentesting methodology which will not detect these types of issues. After cleaning up the source code a bit I’m happy to say that XSS Hunter’s source code is now publicly available for anyone to download and contribute to! However, there is a bit of set up involved and I thought I’d make a post which shows people how to set it up on their own servers. In future versions of XSS Hunter I’m hoping to make this process a lot easier but for now the work is a bit non-trivial. For those of you who aren’t interested in doing the set up feel free to use the official online version.


This is the first part of a series of stories of compromising companies via blind cross-site scripting. As companies fix the issues and allow me to disclose them, I will post them here.

Cross-site Scripting (XSS) origins go (arguably) back to a lab in Microsoft in 1999. With the first disclosure of the issue titled Malicious HTML Tags Embedded in Client Web Requests, this research sparked an entire generation of an attack that somehow still seems to persist in modern web applications today. Despite this vulnerability being well-known and high impact, the testing methodologies for this issue seem to be the same as ever. How can this be?

Using the word “unhackable” is generally considered a bad ideaTM due to this being a largely unobtainable feat with software. In this post I attempt to get as close to “unhackable” as possible with my own personal blog (the one you’re reading right now). I have designed the process in such a way that it could be applied to any CMS (such as a corporate drupal site, for example). The main idea being that you can take a super vulnerable site and compile it into a static set of files for viewing.

Hey guys,

If you’ve ever pointed your DNS to an EC2 instance or other Amazon service, you might wanna read this piece of research I did while work at Bishop Fox that shows how attackers can take over your domains by drawing from Amazon’s IP pool: